This drawing documents the architecture of Lothbury Court, with its adjoining corridors and interiors, which were designed by John Soane to lead to the inner courtyard where bullion was received.
From 1788 to 1833, John Soane was surveyor to the Bank of England and took responsibility for the Bank's maintenance and repairs, alterations and additions. During this time, Soane added two extensions and replaced nearly every room, more than doubling the building's area. This was largely in response to greater numbers of staff and increased business demands during the French Revolutionary and Napoleonic Wars which lasted from 1793 to 1815. Soane introduced more offices and more work space, a secure and fireproof structure, and an ambitious design approach, making the Bank of England his most famous project.
This print is colour matched to the original and approved by Sir John Soane's Museum. Every purchase supports the work of the museum.